Friday, April 21, 2006

From SD-6 to ST:11


J.J. (Alias, MI:III) Abrams to Direct 11th Star Trek movie. My feeling for a while has been that what Star Trek needs is a reboot. While this isn't that drastic, I'm liking the idea of revisiting the original characters with new actors. It was a bad idea to go back to the (future) past with Enterprise, but this movie does seem like step in the right direction.

I still feel a full on reboot of the original series, cherry picking the best episodes, grabbing the best stories from the novels, planning the five year mission and doing it as a closed-end series so it could have a proper story arch is the only way to revive the series short of pushing it ahead another couple hundred years or so.

As far as Abrams goes, I liked some of Alias and will probably check out MI:III even though Tom Cruise freaks me out. It never would've occurred to me to look in that direction for Trek and maybe that's not a bad thing. Bryan Singer looked like an inspired choice for the X-Men and that's turned out to be be pretty forgettable, but I would've rather seen someone with a less commercial vision at the helm.

Still, it's new Star Trek and for whatever reason that still gets my inner geek all stirred up.

(link via Ghost in the Machine)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...