Monday, February 28, 2011

RIP Frank W. Buckles, last surviving American WWI veteran

Last World War I veteran Frank W. Buckles dies at 110

Frank W.  Buckles (Image via Washington Post)

Frank W. Buckles died early Sunday, sadly yet not unexpectedly at age 110, having achieved a singular feat of longevity that left him proud and a bit bemused.

In 1917 and 1918, close to 5 million Americans served in World War I, and Mr. Buckles, a cordial fellow of gentle humor, was the last known survivor. 'I knew there'd be only one someday,' he said a few years back. 'I didn't think it would be me.'
I will not be cordial with people today if they start in with some Corey Haim nonsense before at least acknowledging the passing of Mr. Buckles. Doughboy before Lost Boy, please.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...